Order of


Command Post



Division Composition

Fort Wayne

Fort Custer

Camp Claiborne

Camp Howze

Keesler Field

Scott Field

Camp Shanks

Camp Atterbury

410th Anniversary Dinner

Battles & Campaigns

Mortality Statistics


Books Available





Cactus Patch

Camp Atterbury
Edinburgh, Indiana

LOCATION: Hospital Road at King Drive, Edinburgh, Indiana 46124
Telephone: (812) 526-9711

SIGNIFICANCE: Corporal Seguin, after returning from Europe to New York, was sent in early December 1945 to Camp Atterbury, and was discharged 6 December 1945. The camp was one of the many military separation centers used for discharging soldiers during the post-war demobilization.


...In August 1945, Aubert, while waiting in England, had orders cut to go to Japan. He had 72 points to qualify for rotation back to the US for possible discharge. (Soldiers accrued points for participation in various campaigns, time in Europe, and for wounds.) He was still in England when Victory over Japan Day (V-J Day) occurred on August 15, 1945. On November 3, 1945, Special Order #125 was published, transferring him to the 82nd Reinforcement Battalion for return to the ZI (Zone of the Interior), a term meaning the United States. Consequently he was sent to Camp Lucky Strike in France near the seaport of La Havre. He departed for the US by ship, the "Antioch Victory," as one of 1,969 troops aboard, and it took 11 days to reach the port of New York. Nine of those days he was seasick and had to be fed intravenously. It was on November 28, 1945, that he returned to the States. Even though it was 2:00 am, all of the soldiers were greeted with a steak and a quart of milk. There were also fireboats in the New York harbor.

He went by train to Camp Atterbury, Edinburgh, Indiana, and stayed there 48 hours at the most. He was discharged December 6, 1945, and arrived in Detroit on December 7, 1945, at the Michigan Central Depot, where Vernor, Michigan Avenue, and 14th Streets come together. He wore his “Ike jacket” bearing his Corporal stripes, both the Cactus Division and Europe Theater of Operations patches, five authorized ribbons, Combat Infantryman Badge, left sleeve longevity stripe for three years service, two gold hashmarks indicating 12 months service in a combat zone, and the gold eagle in an olive diamond (the “ruptured duck”) representing an Honorable Discharge.

Aubert did reenlist in the Army Reserves on December 6, 1945 for a three year period. The 103rd Infantry Division of which he was a member, participated in three campaigns: Rhineland, Ardennes-Alsace, and Central Europe. Its losses included 720 killed in action, 3,329 wounded in action, and 101 who died of wounds. First activated on 15 Nov 42, the 103rd Infantry Division was inactivated at Camp Kilmer, NJ, on 20 Sep 1945. During its service, the division had three commanders: MG Charles G. Haffner Jr (13 Aug 1942), MG Anthony C. McAuliffe (8 Jan 1945), and BG John N. Robinson (Aug 1945). Aubert's regiment, the 410th Infantry Regiment, first activated on 15 Nov 1942, was officially inactivated on 26 Sep 1945, at Camp Myles Standish, MA.

In 1978, while being interviewed and asked what he remembered most about his military service years, Aubert responded that it was “Seeing ordinary men perform so many acts of heroism.”...



HISTORY: Camp Atterbury has a long and distinguished history of service to state and country.

Early in 1942, the United States government began purchasing tracts of land in the gentle rolling hills of southern Indiana to build a major military installation. Named in honor of Hoosier Brigadier General William Wallace Atterbury, Camp Atterbury played a significant role in America's war effort.

Camp Atterbury served as home for 15,000 Italian and German POWs. Reminders of their gratitude for the humane and friendly treatment they received at the camp can still be found in the noted "Chapel in the Meadow" (which they built) and the large engraved stone which marks the eastern entrance to the camp.

Beginning in 1955, Camp Atterbury reverted to an inactive status, waiting to serve once again and used only for occasional weekend training by the National Guard and Army Reserve units. In 1970, however, control of the southern three-fourths of the old camp was transferred to the Indiana National Guard.

Since 1978, World War II era wooden buildings have been gradually replaced by new masonry structures. Thirty-seven new barracks have been built so far - enough to house 3,300 troops. With 30 additional new administration, mess, and supply facilities, Camp Atterbury can easily support brigade-sized operations. For larger operations, 2,000 troops can be housed and supported in remaining wooden facilities.

Camp Atterbury's vast expanses allow commanders to train their troops in infantry operations on company, battalion, or even brigade scales. Varied terrain and begetation provide outstanding areas for all forms of offensive and defensive tactics. Sites are also available for air assault, rappeling, ground reconnaissance, and other specialized training operations.

From small caliber pistol to helicopter gunships, Camp Atterbury's range complex is designed to support the weapons systems found in a typical divisional element. In addition, fighter aircraft have a separate range available at all times for tactical training exercises. As an added safety consideration, the 8,000 acre impact area is centrally located well within post confines.

With terrain that varies from flat open spaces to rolling hills to triple-canopied forests, Camp Atterbury is perfectly suited to engineer training using equipment available on post.

Also, unlike many other training sites, there are few restrictions on what training can be conducted. Camp Atterbury's 33,000 acres provide ideal locations for bridging, river crossing, pioneer, and other engineer training.

After duty, there's plenty to do either on post or nearby. Camp Atterbury has its own swimming pool, softball diamonds, gym, and service clubs. The post is adjacent to a state fish and wildlife area, and there are dozens of things to see and do just a few miles away.

Camp Atterbury is ideally located for weekend activities. Big Ten football and basketball can be found at Bloomington. Less than an hour to the north, Indianapolis offers NBA basketball, professional baseball, and olympic-class amateur sports. Other sports in the area include world-class hydroplane racing (at Madison), thoroughbred horse racing (at Louisville), major league baseball and football (at Cincinnati).

Other sites and points of interest are world famous architecture (at Columbus) and the magnificent scenery in nearby Brown County. Theaters, concerts, museums, festivals, and a bustling ightlife may be found in Indianapolis.



On the post can be found a crescent-shaped, gray stone block monument honoring ten different Army organizational units which trained there during World War II. Full-color emblems of those units are affixed to the memorial wall. Centered in front of the wall and elevated on a pedestal is a life-size statue of a World War II soldier, with left hand extended as though on patrol and pointing the way.


...Following his discharge, Aubert and Shirley went to live with Shirley's sister Madeline and husband Kenneth Rommann at 1016 Blackstone in Inkster, MI, and then moved in with his Shirley’s parents, Elbert and Nellie Emrick at 25459 Powers Road, Dearborn Heights, MI.

Shirley and Aubert bought their own home at 14835 Keppen, Allen Park, MI, from Millard and Bonnie White in March 1946 and moved in on June 26, 1946.

Once back in civilian life, Aubert went back to work for Kroger Store D-232 (his seventh Kroger Store). He was at this store on Fort Street near Southfield Road in Lincoln Park, MI, for 2-3 weeks.

A new Kroger Store opened however, on January 2, 1946, on another corner of the same intersection, and Aubert was the produce manager there for 3 years, 1 month. Bob Hall was the store manager and Bill Rocz was the meat manager.

Aubert left Kroger around February 10, 1949, and went to work as the produce manager at the Stop and Shop, 750 Fort St, Plymouth, MI. It was started by J.G. Rucker, a former Kroger District Manager, and his sons, Jay, Bill, and Joe. In July, Bill Rocz also came over. Aubert stayed there three years, 1 month, and left March 15, 1952, and went to the Victory Supermarket at Ford Road near Telegraph Road. Del Delterfield was the market owner. Aubert stayed there 2 - 2 1/2 months as produce manager for Morton Kaplan who had a concession there.

He next went to the E&L (Evans & Levitt) Supermarket at Southfield Road and Dix Road in Lincoln Park, MI, and stayed there until mid-to-late November 1952.

On December 1, 1952, he became the produce manager for O’Brien’s Supermarket #3 (owned by Mr Thomas O'Brien) on West Warren near McGraw in Détroit, and stayed in that position for 1 year, 1 month. He then became a supervisor and a buyer.

Aubert's father, Albert, arranged for Aubert to buy a 1954 black Chevrolet Turtle-back from Mike Sandrétto at Kessler Chevrolet, Vernor & West Grand Boulevard. It was the first brand new car Aubert bought.

In 1960, he went to O’Brien's Store #5 at 19450 West Warren at Minock, in Detroit. There he put in 16-18 hours daily. As a result of the long hours, Aubert resigned and went to work as a sales representative in March 1961 for Milton Richard & Son Home Modernization on Dix Road in Melvindale, MI. In November 1961, the home improvement sales work became a part-time job (lasting until April 1973) while Aubert took on a full-time job as sales representative for Frank Kurk at Accurate Mailing and Distributing, 1700 W. Lafayette near 10th Street, Detroit. This company later became Accurate-Metro Mailing & Distributing on Miller St in Hamtramck, MI, and then finally changed to Reliable-Accurate Mailing & Distributing at Alexandrine and Vermont Streets in Detroit. On April 27, 1973, the company folded and sold out to American Mailers, 3333 W. Fort Street, Detroit. Aubert stayed on until December 1973 and then left. He also worked store security from 1966 - 1972 on weekends for Lauri Supermarket, Van Dyke & Gratiot, Détroit, as a part-time job.

On December 15, 1973, Aubert became advertising director for the 10 stores of Arrow Tire Company, 28666 Ford Road, Garden City, MI. He stayed with them 2 years, 3 1/2 months, until March 30, 1976. From mid-April to mid-May 1976 (5-6 weeks) he worked for Security Oriented Systems, based out of Missouri. From May - October 1976, he was a sales rep for the Northwest Electric Devil Dog Burglar Alarms Company.

On November 18, 1976, Aubert took on a job as factory field representative for the Gulf Development Corporation. Between September 11, 1978, and January 26, 1980, he was the director of produce operations for the Thomas A. George Market. Then he was a sales rep for the 3P Corporation, a cassette “Stop Smoking” program sold to doctors who sold it to patients. This job ended in July 1981. In August 1981, he joined On TV (subscription television) as a sales rep. Between 1981 and 1991, he worked part-time for Entertainment Publications Incorporated, selling discount coupon books at the Michigan State Fair in the summer, and at a local mall during the Christmas season. In retirement, Aubert and Shirley bought a recreational vehicle and enjoyed taking trips throughout Michigan and to Texas. In May 1981, they visited their former landlady and Shirley's employer, Mrs Alice Hardy, at her home on 804 S. Dixon in Gainesville, TX, after the passage of 37 years. She served as their guide in taking them out to the site of the old Camp Howze. (Mr John Hardy had passed away about six months earlier. Mrs Hardy later died in 1989.)

In April 1990, Aubert was involved in an extremely serious backyard fire, while burning a few articles of trash in a trash can. He turned his back momentarily and apparently a paper which was on fire drifted up and lit the terry-cloth robe which he was wearing. It quickly engulfed his backside in flames, causing 3rd degrees to 50% of his body (shoulders to heels) and some burns to his right arm. He was rescued by a next-door neighbor named Ray, who heard his screams. Shirley was in the front yard mowing the lawn and was unable to hear what was occurring. When she realized what had happened, she rushed Aubert into the house, placed him in the shower, and turned on the water to stop the continual burning of the skin. Aubert was air-lifted by helicopter to the University of Michigan Burn Center in Ann Arbor, 30 miles away and was treated there for about three months.

On May 23, 1992, while in Texas, Aubert and Shirley journeyed east into Louisiana and toured the remains of Camp Claiborne. Later that month, Aubert began experiencing severe stomach pains for which he saw a doctor upon returning to Michigan. His pain was diagnosed as being caused by colon cancer. He received treatment for the cancer which appeared to go into remission.

On Saturday, May 8, 1993, Aubert and Shirley celebrated their 50th Wedding Anniversary (one day after the actual date) with renewal of their wedding vows at their home parish, Ste Mary Magdalen Church, Melvindale, MI. A reception, organized by son Daniel and his wife, Cheryl, followed at the Maplewood Center in Garden City. All eight of their children were able to attend the celebration, and watched their parents dine, cut a multi-level cake, open gifts, and dance to the Big Band music of their courting years.

In the Spring of 1994 the colon cancer reappeared but was advanced too far for treatment. Aubert was hospitalized for a few weeks at Oakwood Hospital, Dearborn, MI, but asked that he be allowed to go home to spend his final days. He passed away at home on the morning of Saturday, September 17, 1994. His arrangements were handled by Hackett-Metcalf Funeral Home, Dearborn, MI. The funeral Mass was offered at Ste Mary Magdalen Church, Melvindale, MI, by his pastor and friend, Fr. James Curtain. Pallbearers were his six sons and two of his grandsons, SrA William E. Seguin (USAF) and Cadet Alexander D. Seguin (US Military Academy). Burial was at Fort Custer National Cemetery, Augusta, MI, on August 21, 1994.

there were three funeral notices published (two in the Detroit Free Press and one in the Mellus Paper):

SEGUIN, AUBERT F. September 17, 1994. Age 75. Beloved husband of Shirley; loving father of Lawrence, Ronald, Kenneth, Mary Ellen Seguin-Adomat, Thomas, Theresa, Daniel and David; dear brother of Maurice and Thérèse Perry; also survived by 24 grandchildren and two great-grandsons. Funeral from Hackett-Metcalf Funeral Home, 2640 Monroe (near W. Outer Dr) Dearborn, Wednesday 9:30 am to St Mary Magdalen Catholic Church for 10 am Mass. Visitation Monday 2-9 pm and Tuesday 2-9 pm. Rosary Tuesday 8:30 pm. Interment Fort Custer National Cemetery, Augusta, Michigan.

AUBERT FERDINAND SEGUIN, 75 a retired salesman, died of cancer Saturday at home in Allen Park. Mr Seguin was a sales representative for Reliable-Accurate Mailing & Distributing in Détroit from 1961-73. He worked briefly for several other companies and finished his career working part-time for Entertainment Publications Inc, in Détroit from 1981-1991. He had previously worked for 25 years in the grocery business, mainly as a produce manager and buyer for Kroger and O’Brien supermarkets. Born in Quebec, Mr Seguin moved to Detroit in 1923. He became a US citizen and served in the US Army during World War II. Survivors include his wife of 51 years, Shirley; sons Lawrence, Ronald, Kenneth, Thomas, Daniel and David; daughters Mary Ellen Seguin-Adomat and Theresa Seguin; a brother; a sister; 24 grandchildren, and two great-grandsons. A rosary service will be at 8:30 pm today at Hackett-Metcalf Funeral Home, 2640 Monroe Blvd, Dearborn. The funeral will be at 10 am Wednesday at St Mary Magdalen Catholic Church, 19625 Wood, Melvindale. Burial will be in Fort Custer National Cemetery, Augusta.

He was produce manager and buyer for grocery stores ~
Aubert Seguin, former produce buyer and manager for 25 years at Kroger and O’Brien supermarkets, died of cancer Saturday, Sep 17, 1994, at his home in Allen Park. He was 75. He worked from 1961 to 1973 as sales representative for Reliable-Accurate Mailing and Distributing in Detroit, and worked briefly for several other companies until February 1981. After his retirement, he worked summers until 1991 for Entertainment Publications Incorporated. Born Feb 4, 1919, to Joseph Albert Benjamin Seguin and the former Marie Alberta Aurore Grise in Montreal, Quebec, he was 4 when the family moved to Détroit. He attended St Léo’s grade and high schools but quit school in 11th grade after failing an accounting test, said his son, Ronald of Lincoln Park. Mr Seguin continued as produce buyer and manager until the start of World War II. He became a naturalized US citizen while serving in the Army from 1942 to 1945. A corporal in the 103rd Infantry Division, he was wounded Nov 23, 1944, at St Die, France. His military awards include the Purple Heart, American Theater and European-African-Middle Eastern theater medals, Good Conduct, World War II Victory medal and Combat Infantry Badge. He and the former Shirley Emrick were married in 1943 and lived 48 years in Allen Park. He attended St Mary Magdalen Catholic Church in Melvindale, and was a member of the Nocturnal Adoration Society and the Dads’ Club. He was on the board of directors for Manresa Retreat House in Bloomfield Hills, and a lifetime member of the Military Order of the Purple Heart. In addition to his wife and son, Mr Seguin is survived by five other sons, Lawrence of Ventura, Calif, Kenneth of Dallas, Thomas of Harper Woods, Daniel of Garden City and David of Allen Park; and two daughters Mary Ellen Seguin-Adomat of Traverse City and Theresa of Gaylord. Also surviving are a brother, Maurice of Farmington Hills; a sister, Therese Perry of Livonia; 24 grandchildren and two great-grandsons. A funeral Mass was celebrated Sept 21 at St Mary Magdalen Catholic Church, and burial was in Fort Custer National Cemetery in Augusta. Arrangements were by Hackett-Metcalf Funeral Home, Dearborn. Memorials may be made to Southeastern Michigan Hospice in Southfield.

This section is the work of Ken Sequin and family - his server, Talkcity.com, is offline.
I had copied the site before it closed,
this is near complete without the
 guestbook and talkcity links. No adjustments will be made in this section until Ken returns.
Some links and items are omitted because of "not available" items and the original site was in Apple, this site is Frontpage.