- "Duane was drafted in the summer of 1944 in Lamar
- He was deferred until he could help his father gather
He was inducted into the U. S. Army, August 1944 and trained at
- Camp Fannin, Tyler, Texas.
- When boot camp was finished, he was sent to the
European Theatre of War
- where he joined the 103rd
Division, 410 Inf. Reg. Co. C, in
France and stayed with them until he was injured on 27 July 1945 near
Augsburg, Germany. Duane was injured when 15,000 volts of
jumped and hit him on top of his head. He suffered 1st and
burns on 85 percent of his body. He was sent to 132nd Evac
to 36th General Hospital in Paris, France on 17 Aug 1945.
- Duane came back to the states aboard the U. S. Hospital
- and was sent to Holloran General Hospital on Staton
- He was sent from there to William Beaumont General
- El Paso, Texas on 12 Oct 1945.
- He was discharged on 4 March 1946 from William Beaumont
Duane was a Disabled American Veteran who was honored to have served his
country. Duane died 23 April 1999 in Austin, Texas."